Where: The Husky beach courts are at The Den North in Windsor, CT. They are made of the finest beach sand available in New England!
- Two players on each team
- The court is smaller (26'3" x 26'3" as opposed to about 30' x 30' indoors)
- Outdoors you must learn to practice and play in the elements (heat, rain, wind, etc.)
- There are no positions for doubles. You are going to become a passer, setter, and hitter when you step on the beach court.
- Hand setting rules are very different. The only time you can set the first contact is on a hard-driven ball. This means that serve receive, free balls, and roll shots all cannot be set. When you send a ball over the net with a set, you must be facing the direction that you set the ball. Most importantly, sets are judged much more tightly so double contacts occur frequently. Most players usually bump set to avoid getting a double contact called on them.
- Teams switch sides during each game (every 5-7 points usually).
- You can’t touch the net (ever)
- A touch off the block counts as the first team contact.
- You cannot use an open hand to tip the ball (but you'll learn new shots)
Does my player need an AVP membership?
- Yes! Everyone needs one in order to participate.
- It must be valid throughout the length of the season. Your payment will not go through unless it is valid through the end of the season.
- When you renew, time will be added on the the end of your membership period.
- Visit www.avpamerica.com to join/renew. Associate with Husky Volleyball as your "organization" and "beach club"
Should the AVP membership be in my name or my player’s?
- Your player.
- If you put your name in by accident, please contact email@example.com.
What type of membership should I choose when I join AVP?
- A BRONZE AVP membership ($20) is the minimum required to participate.
- If you plan to play in any tournaments, a SILVER ($35) membership is required instead of BRONZE.
- It's NOT possible to upgrade, so you will need to purchase the SILVER in full if you change your mind about a tournament later.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about your membership level.
Which age group is my player in?
- Beach volleyball offers 18U, 16U, 14U and 12U
- Find out where your athlete belongs on the AVP America site.
How do I pay?
- You must be logged into the player's AVP account.
- It must be active through the end of the season for this to work.
- Click on the payment form link from your location page. It brings you to a schedule. Find your location/day and follow the links to register.
- Leave the team name blank and you do not need any additional players.
- The next page is the payment page.
My player is signing up with her partner. Can you make sure they are together? My player doesn’t have a partner. Is that okay?
- Players are grouped by age/skill level based on what you put on the registration form.
- Each practice is structured so that everyone plays with everyone in their group. No partner is needed because everyone will rotate partners.
- Please DO NOT put a partner's name during the payment process. It is only an option because the payment form is the same for all AVP events.
We are going on vacation/have softball practice/won’t be in the area/etc. so my player will miss some sessions. Is this okay? Can we make them up?
- It’s totally fine if you miss some sessions for your other family plans this summer!
- We do not guarantee make up sessions, prorated fees or "drop in" sessions but we can usually squeeze a player in another night as a makeup every now and then.
What should I wear?
- Dress for the weather in something that you can move around in!
- You play barefoot or with sand socks (in especially hot or cold weather)
- We recommend hats, sunglasses, sunscreen and bug spray (sometimes we have some gnats flying around).
I can’t make it tonight/I am going to be late. Who should I contact?
- No one. We do not need to know in advance if you will not be there or if you are coming late.
Do I need a ball?
- Volleyball without volleyballs are boring... we will supply them for practices but you may want one to practice on your own or warmup with at tournaments (you can buy one when you sign up for the program for $35).
What if it rains?
- We practice in light to steady rain
- Please do not call, email, or message regarding the status of practice.
- We will email, update our website and post on our Facebook page if practice is cancelled. Assume it is on unless you hear otherwise!
- It is always up to the family to choose to go and there is no penalty for missing practices.
- If needed, a make up session for weather cancellations will be offered on Fridays or the week after practice is over for the season.
Are tournaments required?
- Tournaments are optional, but highly suggested!
- Players (a team of 2) signs up and pays for tournaments on their own. Tournaments are not included in the Husky Beach program.
- You can sign up for one, two or all of them with the same or different partners.
I have never participated in a tournament before and don't know what to do!
- We will run a tournament at The Den as a "test run" so you'll know what to generally expect when you go play elsewhere.
- Coaches will help players navigate the tournament day so they can feel comfortable enough to register for one on their own!
- Space is limited at each event.
How do I know when the tournaments are?
Visit https://www.volleyamerica.com/VA-Beach-Volleyball-Schedule.aspx and pick "New England". The correct level for most of our players will be "Juniors" (in your age group) or B.
How do I get a partner if I want to play?
- You are responsible for finding your own partner.
- Ask the new friends you’re making at practice!
I signed up for a tournament, but I only see one other team registered. Will it be canceled?
- Most players sign up the week before the tournament. Be patient.